OTHER SIGHTS IN THE NORTH OF THE ISLAND

MUNICIPALITY OF ISTIAIA-AIDIPSOU

Folkore Museum Istiaia

In the small Folklore Museum you will find, apart from the objects of everyday life, men's and women's costumes from Istiaia (or Xirochori as it was called) that were of urban type, national costumes from the surrounding villages, period underwear, objects of urban use, medicines and medical tools of other eras, documents and court decisions, the financial correspondence of Ioannis Economou, concessions of El. Venizelos's loan to the refugees of Asia Minor, plenty of photographic material, handicrafts of prisoners during the dictatorship and much more.

Area Istiaia

Phone: (+30)2226052690 & (+30)6976551643 - Katie Marna

Public Hours: For opening hours and tour times you can contact the phone numbers.

Google Maps

Church Panagia Dinious

Panagia Dinious is a small church in North Evia, near Istria, where there is a miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary.

There are two main versions of the name:

The first is related to the history of the icon , where according to tradition a Turkish Ottoman soldier during the Ottoman rule , shot the icon in an attempt to kill a hunted Greek who was hiding behind the icon. According to tradition, the miraculous icon 'returned' the bullet to the irreligious soldier and killed him.

This version is reinforced by the existence of the point of the firing of the Turk's gun on the face of the Virgin, particularly on the front. The "return" of the bullet , gave the name to the Virgin Mary who was named Panagia Dinius or Donius from the Turkish word "Donus" meaning "return" (i.e. Virgin Mary of the return).

 


The second version, equally important, but which does not seem to have prevailed, renders with some phonetic paraphrase or paraphrase altered the local peculiarity of the place, because a few meters from the church there is a stream with water from local sources called, until today, river of Dinious. Thus, Panagia Dinious, some even call it, even today, Panagia Dinious, owes its nickname from its location near the river of Dinious. 

Google Maps

Museum "Tower of Drosini"

In Gouves you can find the famous Tower of Gouves, which later became the property of the poet Drosinis, the building dates back to after 1800 and was built by Ibrahim Agha. The architectural drawings of the time were made by a slave named Ahmed, and it is said that in return Ibrahim Agas gave him his freedom. The story goes that those who worked received as a reward cabbages from the tower of Agha, who


was prone to alcohol but also very cruel.

All the above resulted in a legend around the tower that says that once Ibrahim Agha, after much torture, slaughtered with a knife an Arab servant of his. In fact, the blood of the Arab servant for many years remained indelible on the walls of the room where the murder took place. After Agha, the tower passed into the hands of the poet's grandfather Drosinis in 1831, where the poet C. Today the tower belongs to the municipality of Istiaiaia - Edipsos and in recent years it has been operating as a museum with an interesting folklore collection.

 

Google Maps

The castle of Oreoi

On a hill above Oreoi, in northern Evia, are the ruins of the castle of Oreoi. According to legend, the hill is artificial, where thousands of people for years carried soil. They had left two secret underground entrances to the castle, impossible for the enemy to find. Even they themselves, if it was night, could not find them.

 


According to excavations that have taken place on the hill, this was the site of one of the two citadels that existed in Oreous in the 4th century BC. This was the time of prosperity for the city, which was the spiritual centre of northern Evia and one of the most famous centres of ancient Greece. The castle was rebuilt during the Venetian occupation. It gained great fame after 1275, when it was captured by the Carinthian knight Licario and used as his base against the Franks.

Today the visitor has little to see as it is completely neglected and left to its own devices. Pieces of fortification of a maximum height of 2.5 metres are preserved. Apart from that, the hill offers a unique view of the city of Oreoi.

 

Google Maps

The Bull of Oreoi

Also in Orei, you can see the magnificent, massive sculpture that can now be seen in a glass cube behind the Church of the Redeemer near the port of Orees. It was found buried on the town's beach in August 1965. It dates from the Hellenistic period and is 3.2 metres long. The weight of the Thassian marble relief exceeds six tons.

Community of Lihada and Saint George Lihada

Lihada is a small mountain village in the northwestern part of the end of Evia, on Mount Lihas, overlooking the Gulf of Euboea. 

In the village stands the church of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary. In the courtyard of the church are two cypress trees that are said to date back to 1900. According to tradition, the following phenomenon occurred about 100 years ago: one of the two cypresses threatened to fall and became a danger to the church and the visitors. The church council then decided to cut it down. The next day, to their surprise, they found that the larger cypress had wrapped itself around a branch of the smaller cypress, preventing it from falling over.


The smaller cypress was not felled and the two trees still stand in close embrace in the churchyard today. 

 

If you like hiking, you can walk from the village on dirt roads to a ruined tower and the ruins of the old village, or climb up to the chapel of Prophet Elijah at 674 m above sea level. From this chapel there is a magnificent panoramic view from the west coast to the east coast.

 

The old village Paliohori

The settlement was gradually abandoned by the population until 1970, and only ruins of the old houses remain today. In the course of time, the two villages of Lihada and the fishing village of Agios Georgios developed.

 

A little way outside the village of Lihada there is also the

the ruins of a Venetian tower. Google Maps

 

Agios Georgios is the village by the sea and was originally a fishing village. Today, in addition to countless tavernas, the village also offers beautiful beaches and is the starting point for excursions to the well-known islands of "Lihadonisia".